Summit Montessori is an independent school with a Montessori philosophy. We embrace new methods and ways of teaching while retaining the core concepts of Maria Montessori, whose revolutionary and scientifically-based ideas have made her namesake schools so successful for over 100 years.
As a school that is small by design, Summit provides an unusually intimate atmosphere; our size allows us to personalize students' educations and celebrate their individuality. We work to provide a strong foundation for a life-long love of learning. And we aim to instill confidence in every child, from early childhood to the pre-teen years.
Our focus on each individual is part of our basic value system, which states that, "Above all, we know and value each individual, educating and nurturing the whole child with love and dignity."
We do this by:
- Offering a curriculum that allows each child to learn at his/her own pace, explore deeply, and follow individual interests to nurture a love of learning.
- Teaching primarily in small groups or one-on-one.
- Nurturing strong relationships between children and adults.
- Supporting children in knowing themselves as learners and as individuals, building confidence, independence, and maturity.
- Educating the whole child, balancing academics with the importance of a peace curriculum, practical life, physical activities, and the arts.